Landlord not refunding security deposit & agreement only on email

I have made an agreement on 12th Feb 2018 with a new landlord to occupy her house on 1st March 2018. We also agreed for a Security deposit of INR 65000. As part of mutual agreement I paid partial amount of Rs 30000 on 19th Feb 2018. Now due to personal reasons I am not in a position to occupy her house and when asked for the refund, she refused to refund. We have not made any agreement on paper. But we have an agreement on email as landlord lives in Canada. How do I take up this issue with her?

It is not mentioned whether there is any forfeiture clause in the e-mail agreement to the effect that in case you fail to pay the balance amount of rental deposit on or before a set deadline, the landlord shall forfeit the part payment. If so, you cannot recover the part payment. If not, send him a legal notice demanding refund.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers