Landlord isn't accepting rent since 4 years and I am staying in pagadi

I'm staying here since 24 years in pagdi system, landlord isn't accepting rent since 4 years because the rooms are in my brother's name and I'm using it. My brother keeps visiting me sometimes, but I'm the one who is permanently using it. I have sent him cheque via post, but he isn't depositing the rent. What should I do?

Just wait for notice of demand from landlord. If notice is received by your brother, u may send a reply through ur brother along with rent by cheque and explaining that u r part of tenants family and living with them. U must ensure that rent b paid in 90 days from the date of receipt of demand notice

Hi. Probably the landlord is under impression that the original tenant I.e your brother has permanently left the place and has given the premises to you. So may be by accepting rent he does not wish to recognise you as a tenant of the premises. But it's surprising that the landlord has not accepted rent from you since past 4 years and has also not instituted any suit against you for your eviction from the premises. In such a scenario what I suggest is you issue a letter, either personally by your brother or through a lawyer, addressed to the landlord, stating therein that your brother has opened a savings bank account in so and so bank and has been depositing the monthly rent of the premises regularly in that account since the landlord is not accepting rent. You can write that that particular account is opened in your brother's name and the landlord is made a nominee. All interest accruing in that account shall also be for benefit of landlord. Give the account details in that letter. And address it to him so that your compliance of paying monthly rent is duly placed on record. This will be helpful to you when the landlord files an eviction suit against you/your brother on ground of non payment of rent. Please call for further clarification.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Mr. Queriest please mentioned complete detail of your property perhaps You can deposit the rent into the court by filing proper suit and also you can issue notice to him stating that you are will to pay the rent as per your brother instructions. For detail please give call