quesTermination of employment contract by employee

As per employment contract either party is to give 60 days notice period before termination of employment contract else pay salary for non serving of notice period. Employee terminated contract and gave notice period of 30 days notice period and for balance non serving notice period ready to pay salary but employer is not ready to relieve on the plea that employee has not handed over the assignments handled by him however as per actual facts, employer has taken all handover before leaving the organisation. Kindly suggest the remedy for the same.

  • ansSince the contract provides for a notice period of 60 days from either side the same remains sacrosanct. As per the facts furnished the employee is willing to purchase the notice period of 30 days in addition to the 30 days notice given by him. A lot hinges on the contract of employment in such a case. There has to be a threadbare perusal of the clauses mentioned in the contract of employment to ascertain whether the employer can refuse to give the relieving letter on the ground that the assignments given before the notice period have not been completed by the employee.

    Unless and until there is an express mention in the contract to the effect that the assignments started before the notice period have to be completed it is legally not permissible for the employer to withhold the relieving letter. For the employee the legal remedy begins by serving through his lawyer a legal notice on the company demanding the relieving letter be issued to him. If the legal notice proves futile then litigation can be initiated before the Labour court.

  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

my request for Compassionat ground appointment was delay by the railways for 15 years. finally…
Am 7 years exp and joined a company in India which stated "you are required…

Are one sided employment contracts valid and enforceable legally? I've joined a large size proprietorship company in…

A man married and have 2children boy and a girl after having illegal contact with…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly