×

quesTerminated verbally. Not returning original certificates. What to do?

I have been fired under 14 days & they are not paying the salary and are not returning my original education certificates. I just joined an organization 14 days back. At the time of signing the appointment letter the organization had given, they asked me to deposit my original education certificates assuring me it will be returned back at the time I leave the company.

Now without handing me any termination letter or without me resigning from the company, they have asked me to quit the company verbally. Neither are they willing to return my certificates nor are they willing to pay the salary amount for the 14 days.

What should I do?

As you have stated that your services were terminated verbally without any notice or cause, you have a strong prima facie case against the company for illegal termination and non-payment of salary. You have to file a civil suit against the company for claiming your full and final settlement along with damages and compensation. You will not be able to claim reinstatement from the civil court. (Civil Court cannot set aside termination of private sector employees) You have the following points in your favour:

i. Breach of contract: No notice was given to you before terminating your services. You need to see your contract with the company as to the time period stipulated for giving the notice of termination.

ii. Violation of Principles of Natural Justice: You were not given any reasons for termination and further you were not given a fair hearing before terminating your services.

iii. Non-payment of salary

With respect to your original documents, you can add a prayer clause seeking directions from the court to the organisation to return your original documents.

However, we would be in a better position to advise you once we peruse your appointment letter and service agreement.

• Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only