Sue someone for Emtional distress

A, the custodian of assessments at XYZ summons B,employee of XYZ, to her desk, and abruptly accuses him of immoral conduct for opening the Knowledge Management site and launching the quiz, after the official test end time and outside the exam hall (which we were allowed to do), falsely accusing VP of violating the integrity policy (without understanding the circumstances) . A bullies B for about half an hour in-front of her colleagues unless B apologizes for logging into the site. B suffers severe emotional distress, and resigns at resigns. Can B sue A for Abuse of power, emotional distress?

Answers (1)

56 votes

Ideally, this would be a function of the value system of an organisation.

Yes, technically B could sue A on several grounds after considering the peculiar facts and situation of your case. As far as civil proceedings are concerned it would a tortious claim for damages. However, Indian Courts are slow to proceed with such cases and the amount awarded is paltry compared to the resources one must expend. In the particular facts you have stated, I neither see sufficient grounds for criminal proceedings. It is quite unfortunate what has happened to your colleague.

However, sending a legal notice through an Advocate may have the desired effect and Court proceedings may not be required at all. They are expensive and time consuming for the organization as well. Further, your colleague should meet a counsellor and should look for employment at a better organization with a strong value system. Let us know if we could be of any further assistance to you or your colleague.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles