Resigned through email. After 1 month company asking money. Remedy?

I was working with a company 3-4 months ago. I left the job for personal reasons. I sent a resignation email to the HR and the concerned party. I was with them for only a month. I did not go to the office after the email that I had sent.


I got an email a month ago saying that I need to pay them Rs. 50-60k and now a notice on the company letter head 3-4 days ago saying I have to pay or else I will have to face the action taken by them.


What should I do?




To guide you in a proper manner, we need to peruse your appointment letter / employment contract. 


This contract contains the procedure for resignation and also states the notice period which you need to serve before resigning from the company. Now as you have stated that you did not report to office after sending the resignation email i.e. you did not serve the notice period and therefore the company gets the right to demand the salary for the notice period which you did not serve.


The option available to you is to either settle the matter with the company by paying off the money or send a reply to the legal notice (which we suggest should be drafted by an advocate) wherein you shall have to justify as to why you did not serve the notice period.


If there was no notice period then you are safe and they cannot demand money from you, you can merely send a reply denying the said claim.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Is the employment bond valid without a stamp paper? I was verbally told that the bond wont be applicable to me when I resigned but the director change…

Read More

I have confirmed as an employee in my company and now they say if I don't give an ocpjp exam and clear it I will be removed from the company. Is i…

Read More

I resigned and got relieved from my last company on 31st July 2017, they did not pay me the salary for July and Full and Final against my paid leaves …

Read More

My friend was kept by Deputy Forest Officer, to stolen stone in Forrest area with a Tractor. DFO take away the Tractor with him & given to Police Stat…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue