Provision of night allowances for contractual workers

Please let me know the contractual worker in indian railway service (seeping and clenning) are eligible for Night Allowances? If yes then what is the provision and percentage of Minimum wages.

Answers (2)

177 votes

The Minimum Wages Act 1948 provides for the minimum wages for all service in India, it provides schedules, all employer including the Government have to abide by such law. Indian Railway Establishment Manual recognizes night duty allowances, moreover, Indian Railways various Establishment (P&A) Circulars, e.g. E(P&A)II-2016/H.W.1 dated 09.06.2016 provides Night Duty Allowance w.e.f. 01.01.2016, E(P&A)II-2015/HW-1dated 23.11.2015 provides Rates of Night Duty Allowance w.e.f. 01.07.2015 vide Ref No.149, and many other circular provide and recognize the same. You shall have to make demand of justice to authorities concerned if the same remain unanswered, you shall have to approach the Court. All the best. Regards

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

178 votes

Legally night shift allowance can't be claimed in your case.However, if your employer (contractor) is bounded by any current settlement under the Industrial Disputes Act 1947 to this effect and you are a covered workman under such settlement, you are eligible to receive all benefits agreed upon under such settlement.Please check the position and act accordingly.For further instructions contact lawRato.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles