Performance pay denied as employee not served full calendar year

I have worked for Mahindra Group company, as COO, at strategic Top Management role. On the salary package 20% is performance pay. I have resigned from the company, served the entire notice period, and got relieved from services effective 23rd Oct 2017. When I am claiming the performance pay, Now the company is communicating back, that the performance pay is not payable as employee has not served the oranisation for the full calendar year and on the day of disbursement, the employee is not on roll. There were no such written down policy or communication on this matter. I have never received any such communication in any of the Appointment letter or pay revision letters. Under which law we can file a suit? What is the procedure

Answers (2)

Performance pay is based on whole year worker performance. But before this I want to clear something that Performance related pay is put in place by some companies who wish to reward employees on an individual and/or team basis. It is used to incentivise those at the top of their pay band or as a means of enabling employees to progress through the pay system, with pay increases being measured against targets or objective criteria. So they not mention this pay in appointment letter or pay letters. The worker should complete all targets and he will get this pay. so kindly ask to HR for your progress/performance report and how much you earn from your performance. If you have been some then ask to pay them. If they denied then you can file recovery suit in labor court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You should do the following:
1. File a complaint on your letter head;
2. You can also send a legal notice to your employer first.

I would suggest the following after the above mentioned methods don't yield results:
1. File a recovery application before the Labour court, provided you fall within the definition of Workman (which in your case I presume you do)and the Company an "Employer";
2. You can also file an FIR in the nearest police station for fraud and cheating;
3. If you are not getting the requisite remedy, you always approach the High Court for quick relief.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

I want to initiate conciliation proceedings. Wanted to have clarity on the applicability of section 2(k) whether an individual workman can raise a dis…

Read More

Sir i was fined 1200/- by railway magistrate under section 145/146 of railway act . as RPF personnal deported me on XYZ station in other state where t…

Read More

What is meant by Coercion in contractual laws? How one can file a case of coercion and prove it?…

Read More

I work with a company where I have signed an training agreement, where I m appounted as a trader and can not leave the organisation before 2 years but…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue