Overtime Wages rules in IT companies

I have some doubts regarding the office timings that should be followed by IT companies in chennai(TamilNadu). As far as I knew, according to factory act 1948, an employer should not ask an employee to work more than 8-10 hours a day or 48 hours a week. But in my company I was asked to work for more than 10 hours a day for 6 days in a week and then there are no overtime wages. When I enquired them about this, they said that IT companies won't pay overtime wages.

Factories act and other labour acts are not applicable to IT companies. They are covered by 'Software Technology Park of India' (STPI) rules and regulations. As such, you can not seek coverage under labor acts.