Notice period increased arbitrarily without prior intimation

I have joined my company one year back with 1 month notice period. recently HR sent a mail saying that the notice period has been revised to 3 months with effective from today. The next day they asked me to sign on the revised clause, i refused and i told it is not acceptable for me. Then HR says that it is already implemented and applicable across the organization whether the employee like it or not. The next day i keep my resignation. But my HR was not ready to relieve me in 1 month. he says now you are under 3 months notice period, so you should serve 3 months notice period. Please advice me whether my stand is correct or not and how can i proceed legally. Also during this notice period revision I have got one offer from other company. Since my notice period is for 1 month, I have got my offer letter to join within one month.

The policy which they made you sign at the time of appointment will be the policy you need to follow. If there is any change in the policy, they will have to ask you before implementing. They cant just impose their terms and conditions on you. You can send them a legal notice that you are been harassed and you can go to court for this harassment.