Notice period increased arbitrarily without prior intimation

I have joined my company one year back with 1 month notice period. recently HR sent a mail saying that the notice period has been revised to 3 months with effective from today. The next day they asked me to sign on the revised clause, i refused and i told it is not acceptable for me. Then HR says that it is already implemented and applicable across the organization whether the employee like it or not. The next day i keep my resignation. But my HR was not ready to relieve me in 1 month. he says now you are under 3 months notice period, so you should serve 3 months notice period. Please advice me whether my stand is correct or not and how can i proceed legally. Also during this notice period revision I have got one offer from other company. Since my notice period is for 1 month, I have got my offer letter to join within one month.

Answers (1)

76 votes

The policy which they made you sign at the time of appointment will be the policy you need to follow. If there is any change in the policy, they will have to ask you before implementing. They cant just impose their terms and conditions on you. You can send them a legal notice that you are been harassed and you can go to court for this harassment.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles