Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Maximum possible compensation for wrongful termination

A private sector employee in a large manufacturing organization drawing 3 lacs pm has been wrongly terminated without reasonable ground although the terms and conditions of the appointment letter says 'contract can be terminated with 3 months notice on either side without reason'. The employee is 45 years old and the normal age of retirement in the organization is 60 years. Can the employee go legal and ask for reinstatement. If reinstatement is not possible; what is the maximum compensation one can claim in terms of number of months of salary.

Answers (2)

You have the following options:
1. Usually, employees would be terminated based on misconduct, disobedience, fraud, misappropriation and breach of contract etc., but in your case, you got the termination based 'without reason' is totally illegal method adopted by the employer side.

2. Before termination of any employees the employer must give an opportunity to the employee under the right to a fair hearing (audi alteram partem, or "hear the other side" Rule) based on the principle of Natural Justice which is confirmed and guaranteed under the Law. In case, notwithstanding your performance is not up to their mark itself that they have to give one more opportunity to you to correct the same and your reporting manager also liable to for non performance under vicarious liability and he has bounden duty to tinker the same by delivering suggestions.

3. In any company, there are ample procedures during the conduct of yearly, half yearly and quarterly appraisal and it must be followed by the company according to its rules and regulation which is already prescribed under the established policy. Once your reporting manager sends the appraisal report after the hearing from your side that the review officer or manager shall analyse the same and consider the reporting manager's rating and clinch the same by modifying it, subject to additional analysis.

4. As you said, there was no any opportunity conferred to you to defend and reply against their allegation. So it is completely against the principles of natural justice. Therefore, you can challenge the termination order and claim the compensation and damages for mental agony and illegal termination. You have all the rights and better issue a legal notice to the employer i.e, Reporting Manager, HR Department and Review officer. Subsequently, if no use or reply from the employer, you can approach the Court of Law.

5. You can file a Petition in the court of Law and seek appropriate remedy. You can seek reinstatement as well compensation for the loss suffered by you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear Client,

The management of the organisation should show cause the employee before terminating his services.

You may sue the organisation for the same and seek either re-instatement and/or proper compensation as per policy of the company on the grounds of natural justice.

Please discuss with details of the matter for further advise.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
5 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
15 years Experience

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Fixed Cost Legal Services

Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 1999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 799
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 7499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 1999
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 7499
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 499
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2999
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Fixed Price Rs. 2999
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

I am a Teacher under probation & I completed my probation in March 2018. My employer has not paid me the salaries for the past 7 months... I am se…

Read More

I finished my college and got recruited by a famous Indian IT company.I have a health issue and requires periodic dialysis.The company advised all the…

Read More

My brother worked as a Typist for a CA firm for 25 years. He was suddenly terminated without giving any notice. His matter is in Labour Court. The set…

Read More

Respected sir, my father and 8 other is working in kasia tehsil from past 20 years,as a Assistant Wasil Waqi Navis as a seasonal employee for more tha…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue