Manger denying maternity leave in government office. What can be done?

Recently SC has ordered 2 years uniterrupted paid Child care leave for women employees of Center Govt having children upto age of 18 yrs. My wife 41 is Assistant in LIC of India at Karnal and has completed 21 yrs of regular service. We have one daughter studying in class 10th and twin sons age 5 and a fit case for such relief. LIC has no such leave rule.


My query is can we get such relief( as in Center Govt.) as employee rights should be same in all departments. No written communication happened yet as Branch Manager simply returned our request saying there is no such leave rule in LIC.


Please advise.




The judgement of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India is with respect to the Child Care Leaves guaranteed under Rule 43-C of the Central Civil Services (Leave) Rule 1972. 


These CCS Rules under rule 2(i) clearly state that these Rules are not applicable to persons with respect to whom special provisions have been made under any specific law.


Now with respect to the employees of LIC, they are governed by the LIC (Staff) Regulations 1960 which under Section 60-B provides for the kinds of leaves and Child Care Leaves is not within the ambit of said leaves.


Now as your wife is not covered within CCS Rules, she shall not be entitled to the said leaves. And this judgement of the Hon'ble SC is not applicable to her. 


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

I am working in Govt. Organisation and wish to apply for 60 days earned leaves for attending some preparatory course to appear for higher grade exam i…

Read More

Hello.. I would like to know about the general rules of a retired government employee... The person has worked as an executive engineer last in Tamil…

Read More

My wife had worked with an organisation (undertaking and executing govt projects) one year before. During that period an FIR was filed by vigilance an…

Read More

I have been selected for Central Excise department last year due to pendancy of criminal case (498A,323,504,506,IPC AND 3/4 DP ACT) against me departm…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue