Legal action against company not providing the salary since 4 months

I was working in a private limited company and they have not paid my salary for last 4 months. When ever i ask them they tell that they are in financial problem and do not have money. They keep telling me that we will send some money in 1 week, 5days, 10 days, etc. Every time they are making excuses. I am really fed up of their false promises. Now they do not respond to my calls, i have to keep calling then someone will answer. Please help me with your valuable suggestions.

Answers (3)

160 votes

Send a legal notice- To effectively reconcile the dispute, you must first send a legal notice. The legal notice should categorically state all the steps you intend to take against the employer. The advantage of sending a legal notice is that your employer might clear all your dues before instituting a lawsuit against you. For sending a legal notice to take the assistance of a credible lawyer asking the employer to pay the salary due to him.
Go for Arbitration- If the employer does not take an immediate action after the legal notice is served on him, the aggrieved employee can resort to the other remedies. The employee should carefully read the employment contract before signing it. The employment contract usually contains a clause that provides for referring the matter to arbitration in respect of any dispute arising out of the contract. If such an arbitration clause is present, the employee can refer the matter to arbitration and proceed as provided in the contract or as per the provisions of the Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996. Arbitration is a method of resolving a dispute outside court. Arbitration is a lot faster than litigating in courts. An arbitration clause helps you sort a dispute without actually going to courts. Also, both the parties can mutually choose the arbitrator, i.e., the person who will decide the dispute. Opting for arbitration saves both the litigant’s and court’s time.
Approach the labour commissioner- If there is no ‘Arbitration clause’ or where the matter is not resolved through such settlement, the employee can make an application to the Labour Commission of your District, who shall try to resolve the matter between you both.
File a complaint before Labour Court- If the dispute does not get settled before the Labour Commission then the employee can file an application before the Labour Court in accordance with the provisions of Section 33(C) of the Industrial Dispute Act, 1947. Provided that such an application shall be made within one year from the date on which the salary has become due. If the court is satisfied that a genuine complaint has been made then it shall order a certificate and direct the collector to recover from the employer such amount as has been due. The labour court shall dispose of the case within a period of three months.
File a civil suit- If an employee is a manager of the company or at any other post above the executive level, then he may also file a suit in the civil court in accordance with the provisions of Civil Procedure Code, 1908. But the employee should not resort to this remedy at first, he shall take into consideration the other methods of dispute resolution. A civil court litigation may take longer to resolve the dispute.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

206 votes

were you permanent employ or temporary ? if you third party employer than this types of situtaion seen. but don't worry no body can stop your salary . right a complaint to your near local office of labour cominissnor .

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
61 votes

Many private sector employees face same situation you are in.
I suggest you to resign with your cause mentioned in the resignation and before resignation give them a representation having duly received by them as proof that you are an unpaid employee. and search out some other job for yourself.
hand over your case to some lawyer who can represent you.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles