Discrimination in promotion of employees having similar performance

Dear Sir, I am being denied promotions for last 2 consecutive years while my peers have got promotion with same level of performance. I have also written to my super boss and MD of the company but there is no response which is causing acute mental harassment to me. Mine is a listed company. Can I take legal action for biased appraisal and resultant mental harassment. I have sufficient records to prove my good performance

Answers (3)

169 votes

In a private job you cannot get promotions unless the employer or your immediate boss wants to give you a promotion. Promotions are always at the discretion of the employer or boss. You can be considered for it, but cannot get a promotion as a matter of right. My advise would be to look out for another opportunity which gives you a better designation and a better pay rather than going through mental harassment everyday.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

191 votes

Please take note -
1. You can write about this issue to HR and then a subsequent formal email to higher authorities.
2. Thereafter write another letter to HR seeking domestic enquiry on your subject. This is an administrative setup where the matters are heard just as court procedures and an order is passed at the end of hearing. Every listed company has Domestic Enquiry team which they form time to time to hear the complaint which they receive.
3. If this also do not helps you then approach court for the same.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
111 votes

From your query it appears that you are working in a non-government organization. Indian laws pertaining to service conditions of private employment mainly deal with the minimum wages, payment of wages, holidays, safety and security, maternity benefits, termination of service etc. Your greviance doesnot fall in any of these catagories. Unlike various Service Rules that deal with seniority, promotion in service etc. which are framed for government employees, there are no Srevice Rules for employees of private companies. You may raise your greviance in accordance with the internal greviance redressal mechanism established within your company. However you will have to keep in mind that no law in India would be able to help you if the management decided not to promote you. If the current situation is causing you mental harassment your only other remedy would be to start looking for better opportunities outside this company.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles