quesDidn't appoint arbitrator as per terms of the contract.

Railway didn't appoint arbitrator as per terms of the contract. Filled application u/s 11(6), high court appoint retired judge as arbitrator in the year 1997-98. He conducted more than 80 sittings. Claims, counter claims, rejoinders, oral evidences made and advocate of both the parties completed their arguments. In the final sitting arbitrator recorded in the minutes "awaiting for the award" then he died without publishing the award. We again made application u/s 11(6) before the Kolkata High Court to appoint arbitrator. High Court again appointed a retired judge as arbitrator. He conducted 24 sittings. In the 25th sitting respondent lawyer argued before the arbitrator that he has no jurisdiction and refer some Supreme Court judgement which were not relevant to the fact and circumstances of the present case.

We filled a application before the arbitrator stating that judgement of Supreme Court referred were not relevant in the fact and circumstances of our case. But the arbitrator did not consider our submission and closed the proceeding recording in the minutes that, he has no jurisdiction to adjudicate the matter. Now we filled application u/s 34 of the arbitration act 1996 in the court. I have spend everything what i have earned in my life and in a very bad position. So please suggest and advice, steps taken by me are correct or not and further what I should do or take steps.

  • ansWithout seeing the award of the arbitrator it is difficult to advise on the merit of the case. Apparently you have taken the right course of action by challenging the award u/s 34 of the Act. Hopefully the same has been done within time. If the court now takes time then you can apply in the high court at Calcutta for direction upon the court to dispose of the appeal within a short specified time.

  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

I was working in an organisation. There was no point of notice period in my…

Can a Dismissed state Government Employee Entitled for PF , Pension or other benefits provided…
I started working in a IT company on october 3rd 2016.I have signed a bond…
I have been selected in jkSSb exam teacher exam I and one more person was…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly