Coversion of religion can affect on the caste system attached to job.

Converting the religion from hinduism to christianism can affect the caste system like schedule caste so that it may hamper the selection procedure of a government service?

Answers (1)

311 votes

Yes conversion will have a bearing on whether you get reservation or not. Do you have a caste certificate? If not, you should apply for one. What was the cast of your parents? In a very recent case of February 2015, the Supreme Court has held in K.P. Manu Vs. Chairman, Scrutiny Committee for Verification of Community Certificate that that a person who “reconverts” from Christianity to Hinduism shall be entitled to reservation benefits if his forefathers belonged to a Scheduled Caste and the community accepts him after “reconversion”. Since I don't have your caste details I advise you to read the Constitution Bench judgment of the Supreme Court who in 1979 held in the case of Principal, Guntur Medical vs Y.Mohan Rao that if a person born to Hindu parents, who, belonging to Scheduled Caste had converted to Christianity, the said person on reconversion of his religion to Hinduism and on acceptance by his
community with a further rider that he would practise the
customs and traditions of the caste, would be treated as a
member of the said Scheduled Caste and if the said caste is one
of the castes falling within the Constitution (Scheduled Castes)
Order, 1950, then he will be treated as a Scheduled Caste.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles