Can illness due to long working be used to avoid service contract?

I joined an MNC after signing a Service Agreement in which it was written that "In case I leave the job within 2 Years, I need to pay the company the amount of 2 lakh Rs.",the offer letter mentioned "I need to serve a notice period of 45 days if I decide to quit work". 


But, I used to continuously fall ill due to long travel and long working hours. I told my manager that I will not be able to work and need to be on long leave or may not come back. I also sent emails with doctors certificate for the same. But the company says I'll have to pay the bond amount.


I don't want to pay the amount. What can I do?




Any type of Employment Bonds are nothing but a private agreement between two parties which are governed by the Indian Contract Act. There is nothing called as  Employment Bond Act etc. Such bonds are applicable only if the company has spent money on the personal grooving and enhancement of the employees, but not just a training that helps employees perform better.


As per the Indian Contract Act, contracts entered between two parties, if is one sided, then such contract would be null and void.


In India, Bond is illegal in relation to employment since as per the Indian Statute, bonded labor system was long abolished and no bond can force any person to work against the employees wishes.


Article 19 of the Indian Constitution talks of fundamental rights and as per the Article 19 of the Constitution, the write work is a fundamental right, and under no circumstance does the Fundamental rights under Article 19 be waived by any person nor can any person be forced to do something that amounts to the violation of the rights mentioned under Article 19.


In view of the aforesaid discussions, the employment bond is considered to be reasonable as it is necessary to protect the interests of the employer. However, the restrains stipulated upon the employee in the said contract should be "reasonable" and "necessary" to safeguard the interests of the employer or else the validity of the bond may be questioned.


So, if the company has spent certain amount of money on your training, in such an situation, you are liable to pay the said amount, provided the company is able to prove the same.


We suggest you, if you are really unwell then you should  to first go on leave by writing an email and thereafter, if you don’t recover then send the company a fitness certificate by a doctor wherein you must specify you are unable to work for aforesaid problems.


However, if you are joining some other organization. then we will not advise you to follow the above mentioned steps and further advise you to serve a notice period of 45 days and pay the bond amount, if the company is able to prove that they imparted training to you.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Employment Agreement/Appointment Letter

4.8 | 191 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Employement Agreement review by a local experienced advocate
Create an Employment Termination Letter

4.2 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Termination Letter drafted by a local experienced advocate
Email to HR

4.4 | 46 ratings
15 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Personalised email drafted by a local experienced advocate
Create a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 73 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - NDA drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Recovery of Dues from Employer

4.8 | 421 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
Create an Employement Agreement

4.6 | 203 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Employement agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
15 Minutes Labour / Service Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 476 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your labour / service issue.
Document Review - Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

4.6 | 64 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - NDA review by a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Am a placement consultant, agreement signed with company to render services. Agreement signed on 1st July'13 and mentioned "will remain effec…

Read More

A friend of mine got debarred from sitting in any govt job examinations conducted by UPSC for a period of five years. If he gets through any other cen…

Read More

According to my offer letter it states: Performance Linked Incentive (PLI) Will be given to me every year based on ratings. PLI amount is near to 15% …

Read More

I worked in a company at Gurgaon from 21st July 2014 and resigned on 04th August 2016. Salary for July, August, Sept & Oct 2014. My Salary was Rs …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue