Can employer take action against employee who came back from maternity

I need to ask what action can the employer take against an employee who hasn't resumed her office after availing complete 26 weeks of maternity benefit . If there's any action, then please mention the section/sub section of the concerned act where the same has been mentioned.

Answers (2)

322 votes

If an employee remains absent from duty for a period of 8 consecutive days, or fails to resume duty within 8 days of the expiry of the leave originally granted or subsequently extended (i.e. Maternity Leave), the person may be liable for disciplinary action which may even attract termination.
This may however vary as every Company, Organization, etc has its own sets of rules and policies.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

283 votes

यह अवकाश केवल महिलाओं के लिए है 180 दिन यानी छह माह तक दो बच्चे दर्दे है 82 चाइल्ड केयर लीव बच्चों के पालन पोषण हेतु 730 दिन तक पूरे वेतन पर दोनों बच्चों को अलग से दे है यह 700 दिन का अवकाश 18 वर्ष की उम्र तक रहेगी तथा एक कैलेंडर वर्ष में तीन बार दे है लेकिन एक बार में कम से कम 15 दिन छुट्टी लेना होगा अगर गर्भ समापन अवकाश चिकित्सा प्रमाण पत्र प्रदान किया जाता है तो 6 सप्ताह तक पूरे वेतन सेवाकाल में असीमित वार दिए हैं इस प्रकार अगर वह उसके बीच समय पर नहीं आती है तो उसको कारण बताओ नोटिस जारी किया जाएगा कारण बताओ नोटिस जारी करने के बाद उनको 14 दिन का समय इस बात का दिया जाएगा कि वह बताओ नोटिस का जवाब दे अगर जवाब से संतुष्ट नहीं होते हैं तब उनका वेतन भत्ता रोका जा सकता है

Popular Labour & Service Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles