Can a company ask to resign if the post doesn't exist anymore

I joined a customer management company on March 27th as a Project Manager. Yesterday I received communication from HR dept that the role for which I was selected doesn't exist anymore; so I will have to resign. Can they do this? What is the legal side of this? What should I do?

Legally, the answer cannot but be 'NO'; resigning from job is purely a voluntary act and no one can be compelled to resign. The post you are assigned is rendered surplus or redundant, the only option for the Emplyer is to retrench you after paying due compensation or to offer you alternate engagement.