Can a person be charged under s 406 ipc for not returning stridhan

Dear Sir, Due to tortures, my daughter was compelled to leave her matrimonial home. she lodged a police complaint annexing therewith a list of her stridhan . before lodging the complaint, she asked for return of her stridhan over phone. After long 8 months , the police searched and seized the stridhan articles from her matrimonial home /bank locker . The original bills of the stridhan gold items were also seized from her by police. What are the chances of conviction of her husband u/s 406 .

Answers (3)

206 votes

Section 406 IPC is playing a large place in every Criminal matters. The chances to convict an accused in this section is very high. This should be a trailable case. Firstly, the police should give a notice to the accused and after that an anticipatory bail should be taken from the appropriate Court. If the case will be proved then the punishment should be 7 years imprisonment.
Thank you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

112 votes

do you know whether the police seized all the Stridhan articles of your daughter from the custody of her husband/ in-laws? If YES then my suggestion would be to go to the court and pray for returning the seized articles as per the seizure list..When the police seized the Stridhan Articles of a woman from the custody of her husband / in-laws then generally he/they can not be charged under section 406 IPC and most of the time the IO submits the charge sheet without the charge of 406 IPC in cases of 498A/406 IPC.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
187 votes

Section 406. Punishment for criminal breach of trust

Whoever commits criminal breach of trust shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.


Punishment—Imprisonment for 3 years and fine, or both—


Triable by Magistrate of the first class

Compoundable by the owner of the property in respect of which breach of trust has been committed, with the permission of the court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles