What is maximum time required to file charge sheet under section 376

In Criminal Law
On June 2nd 2017 she have filed an for against boy under IPC 376 and statement of 164 has been done but police has still not arrested the accused Pls let me know maximum time police has to arrest an accused And maximum time given to police to file charge sheet

Answers (3)

231 votes

Under this section police has to arrest accused after filing of FIR along with statement u/s164 by looking into gravity of offence or allegations leveled against the person. The maximum period to file charge sheet is 90 days however they can take more time with due permission of court

- Section 376 of IPC

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

74 votes

As such there is no time limit specified for the police officer for filing of charge sheet, but if the accused is in police custody or is in judicial custody, then Provisions of section 57 and section 167 Cr.P. C. are applicable which provides for time limit for keeping the accused in the custody and granting of bail.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
298 votes

There is no time limit for that however once accused will be arrested police will have to file charge sheet within 60/90days otherwise accused will have a right to get bail from the court. Hence before arrest there is no time limit for anything.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles