Settlement of case u/s 306 & 498 IPC as parties ready for compromise

Wanted to know whether there is any clause in our judiciary system which allows a criminal case to be settled under sec 306 and 498 when both the parties are ready for a compromise. We belong to Sikh religion..

Answers (3)

130 votes

Section 306 of the Indian Penal Code is a non compoundable offence and Section 498 of the Indian Penal Code is a Compoundable offence, therefore, for the purpose of Section 498 of IPC, parties can file joint compromise petition, but, for Section 306 of IPC, there is no provision for filing joint compromise petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

147 votes

Section 306 of the Indian Penal Code speaks of Abetment of Suicide and this offence is non compoundable or cannot be settled between the parties. This offence is not against a private individual or family, it is an offence against the State. Section 498 is enticing or taking away a married woman with an intent to have illicit intercourse. This offence is compoundable.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
293 votes

Yes. Family and matrimonial disputes can be settled by quashment of the criminal cases under Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. You need to get in touch with a lawyer of your choice and brief him/her about your case in details :)

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles