What can be done if cheque got bounced

I sold out three sparingly used carpets to a lady in Delhi for Rs.12,000/-. She gave me a post-dated cheque in first week of September 2016. The cheque was dated 15th October, 2016. I trusted her and deposited it in my account with SBI, Maya Enclave. The cheque was returned to me on account of insufficient funds in her account. I informed the lady on telephone. She promised to pay me the money on 5th December, 2016. In spite of repeated requests on telephone she has not cared to pay me the above amount. I am an 79 yrs old and suffering from arthritis. Knowing this she has deceived me as she knows I cannot move about much. I do not know what to do. Please advise what action can be taken..

Answers (4)

225 votes

Firstly legal notice send to the lady for cheque amount as soon as possible. After that cheque bounce case be filed against the lady under section 138 of Negotiable instrument Act. Its a criminal complaint.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

60 votes

You can send a legal notice demanding repayment of the amount given by you through your legal representative, otherwise a case under section 138 N.I act shall be made upon the lady as she has given you the cheques with malafide intention and had no plans of paying the same.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
195 votes

You deposit the same cheque and get it bounced again and contact a lawyer to send a legal notice within 30 days of getting it bounced. She has to reply the notice in 15 days if receiving of notice if she dont you can file a suit.

234 votes

You can a file a case against her for cheating and criminal brach of trust along with a case under section 138 of the negotiable instruments act , you need to send her a legal notice for that and if ahe does not answer or avoid the legal notice then you can proceed with the case by filing it into the court of your jurisdiction

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles