Sec 138 NIA and 420 IPC for cheque bounce

Dear sir, I have few queries. I will be thankful to you if you clear my following doubts. 1)What is better: to file two separate complaints or one combined complaint for cheque bounce u/s 138 NIA and 420 IPC? What are pros and cons of both? 2) Is it mandatory to first file police complaint under sec 420 IPC and only if it rejects to take it then and then only one can approach the court of law? or one can directly complain to the court? Can one directly file a private complaint case to the court instead of requesting it to order the police to register the FIR under CrPC? 3) If an FIR is filed with police for cheating, can the complainant hire a private lawyer instead of or in addition to public prosecutor? 4) What's better in case of sec 420 IPC complaint in cheque bounce: to file FIR with police and leave it up to the state or file private complaint in the court and hire a private lawyer?

Answers (1)

338 votes

Dishonor of cheque or cheque bounce occurs when a cheque that is presented in the bank is returned unpaid. It could occur due to insufficient funds in the bank account of the person who issued the cheque or if the signatures on the cheque do not match with the original signature of that person. You can proceed against the person who has issued such a cheque under various provisions of law. The most important and useful provision to consider is Section 138 of The Negotiable Instruments Act. I will help you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles