Procedure and Jurisdiction to file a check bounce case

My father has sold a land for 24 lakhs to a lady in july 2014. And that lady has given 16 lacs inhand on that day itself and for remaining 8 lacs she asked for 3 years time and given check dated on 21/7/2017 also mentioned it in agreement check is given the name of her husband and now the check bounced due to insufficient funds. My father has already sent legal notice of 15 days both in the name of husband and wife. And the lady replied by giving false statement that "I have already given a money of 2 lac on 9/10/2014, 2 lac on 10/11/2014 and 4 lac on 6/1/2015 and you are executed reciept for that" she and her husband are big fraudster. Now the thing is how i can file 138 ni act? whether i can file 138 ni act both in the name of husband and wife or only in the name of husband? please reply

Answers (3)

286 votes

You can file check bounce in the husband name as his name is mentioned in cheque .... Kindly file the petition before court as soon possible as the limitation period is above to end and it will be difficult to file in the court

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

216 votes

If the cheque is signed by wife then you cannot make husband a party in section 138 . You are right in sending a notice to both but action lies only against wife, however you can take up civil action against both of them.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
147 votes

When you have not issued receipt then dispute it it must have not contained your signature if it is not your father's then file a forgery case against her at Magistrate Court . Meanwhile you have to file cheque bouncing case at jurisdictional case on the person whose name mentioned on the cheque only. Also you can file case against her by challenging the sale deed in which she has not paid the sale amount completely hence file one case against that lady and for cheque bouncing you can drag her husband.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles