Issued a cheque to help got bounced can he take legal action

Section 138 negotiable intruments act, i had given a chq to a relative for his help it ahs got bounced now that guy is preaching me to pay. is it possible for him to use the law agaisnt me? and if yes what procedures he needs to follow?

Answers (1)

397 votes

In case of a cheque bounce case, the payee need to send a legal notice to the payer in which the payer is bound to make the payment in 15 days of receipt of a legal notice. If a payer fails to pay the amount, the payee can file a criminal complaint to recover the amount.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles