How to file case of cheque bounce because payment stopped by drawer

How do you I sue in case the cheque is dishonoured for the reason Payment stopped by drawer

Answers (3)

320 votes

The reason Stop Payment is also covered under sec.138 of N I Act. You have to first send notice demanding the dispute cheque amount. If he is not responding after 15 days of receipt of notice within 30 days you can file the case. For more information please contact me.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

345 votes

If cheque dishonoured for the reason of payment stopped by drawer also attract 138 N. I. Act. So within 30 days from the knowledge of return of cheque for the reason Payment stopped by drawer, send a notice calling upon him to make payment of cheque amount within 15 days from the date of receipt of notice. If he fails, file a complaint under Section 138 and 142 of N. I. Act before Judicial Magistrate court within 45 days from the date of receipt of notice by drawer. That is within 30 days after 15 days time granted to him to make payment.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
220 votes

138 NI Act covers the matter just like any other cheque bounce matter. Ensure that you send a legal demand notice within 15 days from the date of receiving the memo from bank. Further, ensure that you file the case within 30 days thereafter. You may reach out to me for filing a 138 NI Act case in fast-track-court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles