False case of cheque bounce file. How to save self as money returned?

In Cheque Bounce Law

Am I still liable to honor the cheque if I have paid the person the amount in cash? I had given a blank cheque in lieu of Rs.20,000 borrowed from a friend and returned the money in cash. However, my friend gave the cheque to someone who wrote in for Rs.80,000 and presented it, wherein it got bounced and a cheque bounce case was filed against me.

There is no written proof of the money I borrowed / returned and now my lawyer says I will lose the case and should go for out of court settlement by paying Rs. 1 lac.

What should I do now as I am feeling cheated and helpless?

Answers (1)

458 votes

As per the Governing Law, the person who issues a cheque is liable under the Negotiable Instruments Act to the person to whom the cheque has been issued. So in case you have issued a cheque to another person, it will be considered that you owe the person the said amount, and the payment is being made to fulfil your obligation towards that amount due, unless you are able to prove otherwise.

However, since there was no contract of Guarantee, you cannot be made liable to pay the amount.

We advise that you must contest the case by bringing all the facts you narrated above. Once the above said facts will be brought on record, the burden to prove your liability against the complainant shifts to the complainant and he would fail to prove cogently how he came into possession of that particular cheque and in lieu of what service he provided to you he obtained the cheque. 

So, take a shot and contest the case as anyways under the so said 'out of court' settlement you are being asked for an amount higher than the amount tendered (falsely written) on the cheque.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles