Cheque bounced. Money given. Can he still file a case against me?

I have given a cheque of Rs 3.5 Lacs to one of the person. It is rejected due to my signature mismatch and I stopped the cheque request and I did the transfer 3.5 Lakh funds to the person through net banking. I have not taken the cheque back from the person and he is not ready to return my cheque back to me.

Will I face any problem due to this? Can that person file a case against me with the bad cheque?

Answers (1)

460 votes

The holder of the cheque can file a case against you under the provision of Section-138 of Negotiable Instruments Act. He will send you a legal notice before initiating criminal action.

You can then decide to reply to the legal notice accordingly, mentioning that no liability exists against the given cheque as the amount in question has been paid by an alternate payment mode. You may also attach proof of net banking transaction with your reply.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles