Brother gave my post dated cheques to company. It bounced.Am i liable?

In Cheque Bounce Law

My brother had taken an Agency from a News company and had issued my post-dated cheques towards its payment. Due to insufficient balance in the bank account, the cheque was dishonoured.

The company issued a notice to me claiming the amount of the cheque. Now the company has filed a complaint against me under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments. Please guide me whether in such circumstances can I be held legally liable?

Answers (1)

175 votes

If you are able to prove that you personally did not owe any legally recoverable debt to the company, and that the cheques in question were misused and further that you had nothing to do with the agency, then there are good chances that the complaint against you can be got dismissed.

However, we would require to go through the agency agreement, the contents of the notice / complaint to exactly ascertain your defence in the complaint because there is presumption in favor of the company that if they have cheques issued by you, there must be some amount payable by you to them. Hence, documentation aleady done is essential to ascertain your stand.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles