Can Ghaziabad and Delhi NCR be treated as single city?

Under what circumstances 2 cities of 2 different states combine together? Can Ghaziabad and Delhi NCR be treated as single city?

Answer

Article 252 of Constitution provides as follows:

Power of Parliament to legislate for two or more States by consent and adoption of such legislation by any other State

(1) If it appears to the Legislatures of two or more States to be desirable that any of the matters with respect to which Parliament has no power to make laws for the States except as provided in Articles 249 and 250 should be regulated in such States by Parliament by law, and if resolutions to that effect are passed by all the House of the Legislatures of those States, it shall be lawful for Parliament to pass an Act for regulating that matter accordingly, and any Act so passed shall apply to such States and to any other State by which it is adopted afterwards by resolution passed in that behalf by the House or, where there are two Houses, by each of the Houses of the Legislature of that State

(2) Any Act so passed by Parliament may be amended or repealed by an Act of Parliament passed or adopted in like manner but shall not, as respects any State to which it applies, be amended or repealed by an Act of the Legislature of that State.

The National Capital Region Planning Board Act, 1985 was passed on 9th Feb, 1985 and notified on 11.2.1985. It states that State Legislatures of the States of Haryana, Rajasthan & UP have passed Resolutions under Article 252 (1) thereby giving powers to the NCR Planning Board to legislate for the specified regions of their states as regards land use and infrastructure development.

The Board comes under Ministry of Urban Development of the Central Government.

To answer your question we would need more details from you, as in what is the context in which we are seeking this clarification? Ideally, the answer is not in affirmative as Ghaziabad, while being part of Uttar Pradesh, is part of Delhi NCR wherein the NCR region was created for harmonized development of the region and to relieve some pressure on Delhi's infrastructure.

Popular General Lawyers

Advocate Dhruv Suri
Barakhamba Road, Delhi
Advocate Dev Datt Palodkar
Cidco, Aurangabad
Advocate Pranav Dilavari
Subhash Nagar, Delhi
Advocate Ankit Chaturvedi
Safdarjung Development Area, Delhi