What should I do if my parents are forcing me to marry someone else, against my will?

08-Jul-2024 (In Family Law)
I'm 20 years old and my parents are forcing me to marry someone else, despite my desire to focus on my career and pursue a job. They are emotionally blackmailing me into getting married soon. I need advice on how to handle this situation.
Answers (3)

Answer #1
734 votes
First of all the right/legal age for marriage of any boy is 21 and for any girl is 18 - complete. 2nd thing is nobody can force you to get married or to marry any particular person. You are free at your will pertaining to the decision of you marriage. Though if anyone do, you can approach police or samaj kalyan kendra located in your city/area.

Enjoy your freedom.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
515 votes
First of all try to convince your parents, and if the are still not agree with you. There is one idea that meet that boy with whom your family is forcing to merry, and tell him frankly your issue. If he understood your issue then indirectly by him, you can resolve your problem. Try this if still it is not resolve contact me we will thing something else.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
1000 votes
Firstly kindly understand they can't make you forcefully get married. They have no right as such.

Secondly I don't suggest you take any legal action against them as they are your parents afterall.

Make them firstly understand nicely. Convey your feelings, ambitions and passions to them. If they still remain adamant you will have to file a complaint for harassement to deter them further.

It's a sensitive issue so tred carefully, high tides ahead.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."