Is a marriage valid, if it has not been registered?

I live in Dubai. A man who claimed to be a divorcee married me in 2015 but later realised he had his divorce filed later in 2016 and now divorced but now unwilling to register my marriage and giving excuses I have wedding pics and video as the wedding took place at home with 35 people invited all family and friends Is there a way I have that I can prove my marriage valid as he keeps running away every time? We both had lived together in Dubai since last Oct till Mar 2018 but again he left the house for no reason and I am unable to do anything in the UAE as marriage certificate is the only doc to prove marriage valid

Answers (1)

195 votes

Assuming that both of you are Hindus, you must know that a second marriage while the first marriage is subsisting is void ab initio.
So you must get your marriage solemized and registered once again to have a valid marriage
Your alleged husband can be charged of section 376 of IPC if he kept you as a wife while his first marriage was subsisting.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."