Girlfriend asking the gifts back after breakup is it legal

In Family Law
My girlfriend gifted me 20000 and she told me that its your gift and some amount for meeting her. After breakup she is asking to return money . Is it legal to return her she told it was gift i never asked her for that?

Answers (5)

149 votes

Please return it otherwise she may go to initiate any other measures against you on false grounds moreover why she paid you is irrelevant. For more you may call me. If it's the amount paid to you for meeting her how u prove it and again this payment was not legal

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

63 votes

hello... as it was gift given by your girlfriend she cannot as it back as you own the gift now that the money which she gave you out of her own will and consent. she cannot take any legal action against you.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience
289 votes

If you have the material to prove that the money was a gift then there is no need to return the money. However if there is material to prove that it was a loan you will have to pay the amount back. Further response can only be given after ascertaining all the facts of the case.

195 votes

As per law, anything once gifted can never be asked returned for.
Do not worry, she cannot claim the same in the court of law.
However, regards may be had for being blamed in the society, and always remember that there are a few false cases of implicating in false cases of harassment, stalking, rape, etc.
So the decision lies with you.

90 votes


This is very weird question but still i will answer it as i want ot make you aware about certain things. if you have not given anything in written that you woulkd return her money then you are not liable to return her .
if there is any written document about the same or over the mail or text then yes she can file the suit for recovery.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."