Father-in-law troubling and threatening to commit suicide

Hi, I am a 30 year old hindu female married for 4 years. My father in law is troubling me from day 1. Some days back he tried to slap me also.. Bothering me over small small issues. And now i heard that he is threatning us that he will commit suicide and leave a letter with my or my mother name. Although my husband is on my side what legal action can i take. He is constantly abusing my parents with his relatives on phone causing great mental distress.. And whenver my parents come he makes a scene. Thanks

You can file petition under section 12 of Domestic Violence Act before the JMIC / MM stating all these facts and he will summon him and also call the report of protection officer and proceed with the case.