Cancellation of registration of marriage within 2 weeks of marriage

hi, i got my marriage registered two weeks back, 3rd February 2018, under special marriage act, i m yet to get the marriage certificate, kindly advice that currently now can i cancel the registration? i don't want a divorce, so on any ground can this marriage registration be cancelled?

Answers (5)

Registration under special marriage act, itself make a marriage a valid marriage. even if you don't collect the certificate. You will have to file a plaint seeking decree for cancel the registration on the grounds as provided under the Act.
If both parties agree the marriage can be dissolved easily and faster.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

It is like you became father but without son or daughter. Marriage will continue in force, but you wants only the cancellation of Marriage Registration or Marriage Certificate. Actually the parties Marriage under Special Marriage Act would not completed if after filling the application they did not appear before the Marriage Registrar within time specified by Law along with 3 Nos. of Witnesses. in that Case, Registration does not complete and accordingly and automatically the Registration of Marriage will be cancel and no certificate would be issued.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Sudershani Ray
Kailash Hills, Delhi
12 years Experience
Advocate Geetinder Singh
Lawrence Road, Amritsar
8 years Experience

Marriage certificate cannot be cancelled as those are Government record, while only marriage can be cancelled. You may on the other hand process for filing of either mutual divorce or judicial separation, which may be most preferable to you.

Yes, you can do it on certain conditions. If, your marriage is not still consummated by yourselves please, restrain yourself from that first. Consult with a competent lawyer he will guide you properly.

Actually there is no way to cancel your registration, you can file a petition for nullity of marriage under Section 25(1) of the Special Marriage Act if you can suffice sufficient ground for declaring your marriage null and void.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

I'm an Indian national willing to Marry a girl from Pakistan. Considering the current relation between the two countries, we're planning to ge…

Read More

Hi.. I am hindu and my wife is christian.. we are married but nobody has changed or converted religion.. Both families has accepted our marriage.. nob…

Read More

My son got married arrange marriage one year ago The bride side was insisting for registration of marriage bfr the marriage but it was not possible at…

Read More

Hi, I am a boy from Patna, Bihar, recently started working in Bangalore. We married each other in Registrar office in Patna last year without telling …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue