×

Cancellation of registration of marriage within 2 weeks of marriage

hi, i got my marriage registered two weeks back, 3rd February 2018, under special marriage act, i m yet to get the marriage certificate, kindly advice that currently now can i cancel the registration? i don't want a divorce, so on any ground can this marriage registration be cancelled?

Registration under special marriage act, itself make a marriage a valid marriage. even if you don't collect the certificate. You will have to file a plaint seeking decree for cancel the registration on the grounds as provided under the Act.
If both parties agree the marriage can be dissolved easily and faster.

It is like you became father but without son or daughter. Marriage will continue in force, but you wants only the cancellation of Marriage Registration or Marriage Certificate. Actually the parties Marriage under Special Marriage Act would not completed if after filling the application they did not appear before the Marriage Registrar within time specified by Law along with 3 Nos. of Witnesses. in that Case, Registration does not complete and accordingly and automatically the Registration of Marriage will be cancel and no certificate would be issued.

Advocate Preeti Joshi

Marriage certificate cannot be cancelled as those are Government record, while only marriage can be cancelled. You may on the other hand process for filing of either mutual divorce or judicial separation, which may be most preferable to you.

Yes, you can do it on certain conditions. If, your marriage is not still consummated by yourselves please, restrain yourself from that first. Consult with a competent lawyer he will guide you properly.

Actually there is no way to cancel your registration, you can file a petition for nullity of marriage under Section 25(1) of the Special Marriage Act if you can suffice sufficient ground for declaring your marriage null and void.
Thanks