Can compensation be charged for domestic violence by own parents

I have been abused/ harassed over many years by my brothers. My parents justify this by accusing me of misbehaving at home. Police says its ok coz its normal for girls in india to get hit by parents. I was depressed and very much suicidal. Now I want to leave my house but I want to make them pay for my situation. Can this happen? I dont want to leave the house without getting money from them because this will cause them great pleasure if I walk with all over my face. What should I do?

Answers (1)

323 votes

You can file a case for maintenance against them but there are very less chances that court will award you any maintenance. But yes if there is any ancestral property that your forefather have left behind then you can certainly claim your share in that.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."