×

Can a husband and wife have a nuptial agreement after marriage

Hi We belong to Muslim Community. Recently married with an Indian based in Canada on PR status. Some small disputes occurred between husband wife. Now husband wants wife to sign agreement before calling her to Canada. And agreement will include that wife has to take care of her own expenses by working in Canada and if there is a divorce ( most likely to happen) she shall not claim anything to his property or money.

This is clear denial to maintain wife. As per s.125 of Criminal Procedure Code, any legally married woman has right to claim maintenance. S.125 does not discriminate on ground of religion.
And agreement like this is against legal rights of married woman.

Advocate Preeti Joshi