Action against in laws for taking wedding ornaments without permission

My in laws had taken 3 gold bangles of mine to help my husband's sister who was in debt. I gave permission to Take only two bangles. My in laws took three without my knowledge and I came to know after a year. It's been 4 years and 2 months. They aren't returning my bangles. How do I file a complaint? I live in Bangalore and they live in Kerala. Please help. Thank you.

Answers (1)

147 votes

Are you living with your husband or separately? Would like to know more details. But with certain details, I can state that whatever gift such as gold, property either given by husband or your parents is stridhan in law. You have a absolute right on it.
If they have not been returning, you have legal right to claim it. You can file a police complaint under section 406 IPC for criminal breach of trust and they will be forced to give it as it is punishable under law. If police is uncooperative, you can file a complaint in court for directing the police to help you recover your gold.

I hope this clarifies

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."