Want to change the name in the legal documents

Is it possible to change my name ? What's the legal way ? I should mention that I am a working personnel. So how can I get my name changed in Aadhar, bank records and all applicable areas ? The reason of my name changing is I don't really like my name and people make fun of it. Please suggest.

Answers (1)

165 votes

There are two methods to change your name, one is through court decree and another is Affidavit/Public announcement.

1) The court decree is the method where you get a chance to change your name from roots, in all your records (Previous and current) using the court decree. For this you will need to hire an advocate or file your plaint as a party in person before magistrates or trial court, there is a risk of getting your plaint rejected.

2) Second and easy method is via swearing under oath in an Affidavit, then two newspaper publications and then Gazette Publication.

Here you need to get an Affidavit drafted, then you get the content published in two newspapers (English and regional) and after these two, with the guidelines mentioned in the Gazette India website, get your name change announcement published in E-Gazette. After all these, with the copies of each of these, you can apply in concerned authority/bank branches or your employer for a name change in the records you are currently holding.

The main difference is, with the help of second method, there are few restrictions in some authorities, also it is considered that your name is changed from that particular time onward.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles