Legal process for converting marriage certificate under SMA

Dear Sir/ Madame I am indian woman ( hindu by birth ) who married a German National ( Chrsitian by birth ). Now we got married at home with hindu rites and a hindu oriest because of personal reasons and we registered the marriage in Maharashtra . we thought they were registering under the SMA but they registered under section 6 (1) and rule 5 ( I really don't know what that means ). Is there anyway of converting this a marriage certificate under SMA now urgently ? as the German was not recognising a perfectly legal document stating it was not registered under the SMA and now says that they don't recognise that we are married?! this is kind of ridiculous and he is also mentioned as my spouse on my passport. Any help will be highly appreiated.

Answers (1)

289 votes

It appears your marriage is registered under Hindu marriage act , if you can email or forward the marriage certificate can get a proper understanding of what has happened ? You will have to reapply for marriage to be registered under sma.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles