Legal procedure to obtain a succession certificate

Dear Sir, My father and mother had died recently. My father had some savings in post office in the form of FD,RD etc., valued around Rs.6.5 Lakhs. There is no nominee for these savings. I have a younger sister who is married. I need to submit a Succession Certificate to claim the savings. Request you please let me know the procedure and cost involved for getting a Succession Certificate. Regards,

Answers (1)

102 votes

Succession Certificate is issued by the court of law. A petition under Sec. 372 of the Indian Succession Act has to be filed. You and your sister will be petitioners and since there is no one to question the title of you both, there would be no Respondents.

Once the evidence is let in and arguments are heard court would issue Succession Certificate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles