quesCan child's surname be changed as per father's?

Can the surname of a minor girl be changed after mother's divorce and remarriage, to the new father's surname? The mother got the full custody of the child. The biological father has no visitation rights. Also, can the father's name be changed to the new father's name in documents?

  • ansYes, the name can be changed. The father's name can be changed if the step father adopted the child legally. Without legal adoption the biological father name can not be changed.
    The full custody order has nothing to do with the change of name of surname of the child.

    In other words unless the biological father of the child gives consent the mother can not change the name or surname of the child or the name of his father.

    Biological father if he so wishes can bring appropriate civil proceeding to restrain mother form doing so.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Similar questions

we have land in thondamuthur. Owner is in usa and would like to gift the…
With due respect I would like to seek a legal advice regarding my graduation degree…
Mera ek male friend h jise documentation fraud ke liye arrest kiya gya h .…
is this possible that anyone can change their surname after marriage in the marksheet of…

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate Nagesh B L

 Experience: 23 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Barkha Bhalla

  Banjara Hills
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Amit Sharma

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly