Working husband refusing to pay maintenance money. What can be done?

I have been married for a year now and the marriage did not happen as per my will and choice. I do not like my husband and he does not like me. He is working but refuses to pay any maintenance at all. What should I do?




Your problem does not sound to be so grave, and hence as the first step, we suggest you to go and consult a marriage counsellor, who can help to rebuilt your marriage on healthier terms.


In case this does not work out or you have decided that it is not going to work, the other option is to look for a legal recourse. As both you and your husband do not like each other, you might want to explore the possibility of filing a Mutual Divorce petition where you can seek maintenance and alimony from him.


In case he does not agree to provide you the maintenance on mutual grounds, you may file a petition for Divorce under any of the grounds available under Section 13 of Hindu Marriage Act 1955. In addition, you may seek maintenance from your husband under Section 125 CrPC as well as Section 24 of the HMA during the pendency of your Divorce proceedings.


Section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act is reproduced below for your understanding:


Where in any proceeding under this Act it appears to the court that either the wife or the husband, as the case may be, has no independent income sufï¬cient for her or his support and the necessary expenses on the proceeding, it may, on the application of the wife or the husband, order the respondent to pay to the petitioner the expenses of the proceeding, and monthly during the proceeding such sum as, having regard to the petitioner's own income and the income of the respondent, it may seem to the court to be reasonable.


Maintenance may be sought without applying for Divorce as well under Section 125 CrPC.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

Hello there I m a Hindu girl, been married since 2012 but my husband is abusive and does not want me to live with him as he works in different state …

Read More

I have been married in April 2014. I have been staying separate from my husband since September 2014. My husband doesn't give me maintenance. I ha…

Read More

My husband got divorced with his previous marriage in 2007 & did one time settlement. He has son from first marriage the wife has remmaried want t…

Read More

My sister's in laws dont treat her well and she has returned home 8-10 times in 2 years since she got married. Now if we file a divorce case, what…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue