quesWhat is the process for mutual divorce?

i got married in 2013. Me n my wife was not living together since marriage. As it was inter cast marriage , me n my wife now thiking to take divorce. How much time it will take? what is the process? is it necessary to be present by both while filing the petition with the help of lawyer? pls guide.

  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans

      Section 13B of the HMA Act 1955 provides for divorce by mutual consent.(period of separation is 1 year)

      Section 28 of the Special marriage Act, 1954 provides for divorce by mutual consent.

      Section 10A of the Divorce Act, 1869, provides for divorce by mutual consent (period of separation is 2 years)

      The conditions required under section 13B of the Hindu Marriage Act are as follows:

      i) Husband and wife have been living separately for a period of one year or more,

      (ii) That they are unable to live together,

      (iii) And that both husband and wife have mutually agreed that the marriage has totally collapsed, Hence marriage should be dissolved.

      Divorce by Mutual Consent is as the name suggests is when both parties ie husband and wife come to a mutual understanding that the marriage be dissolved amicably.

      How does it work:

       A joint petition signed by both parties is filed in court .

      In the first motion statement of both parties are recorded and then signed on paper before the Hon'ble Court.
      The 6 month period is given for reconciliation, (the hon'ble court gives a chance to the couple to change their mind).

      After 6 months or at the end of the reconcile period, if both parties still do not wish to come together. Then the parties may appear for the second motion or the final hearing.

      Finally, Divorce decree will be granted as the Hon'ble Court may deem fit.

      The above mentioned procedure is faster and takes only 6 to 8 months for completion. However, if the parties does not agree then you will have to file a contested divorce depending on facts and circumstances of the case.

    • ansBoth can file divorce petition by mutual consent before the concerned court. It will take minimum 6/12 months to get the divorce decree. For filing the same presence of you both is must. Both need to file affidavits and other relevant documents.

      Advocate Sagar Kothari

        District Court Shivajinagar, Pune

    • ans8 to 10 months will be required for divorce. It is necessary for both to remain present for filing petition. Counseling will be done and then after 6 months decree for divorce will be passed by the court.

      Advocate Uday Jadhav

        Bibvewadi, Pune

    • ansSir,
      For filing mutual consent divorce both parties presence is required on the date of filing as well as on final day. After filing petite 6 months period is required to get final verdict. Evidence of parties n relatives are required n other documents regarding marriage.
      Terns n conditions of mutual divorce are to be finalized between parties with help of Advocate.

      Pramod Kale

      Advocate Pramod Kale

        District Court, Shivajinagar, Pune

    • See the video below to know more about this Divorce legal issue

    • Divorce with Mutual Consent Service Package by LawRato gets you leading divorce lawyers to handle all the legal proceedings for you and hence you can have a peaceful separation!

      Learn what is the procedure for divorce without mutual consent in India with the help of this Divorce Law Guide
    • File For Mutual Divorce With Expert Lawyers
      Know More

      Click here to see all Divorce Legal Services
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    The girl flied for alimony. She is highly educated Was employed before marriage earning Rs…

    Do I & my husband need to be staying separately for an year before filing…
    I am Rajni. I am divorce. I am going to be married to a person…
    How should I withdraw divorce case of wife as she was trying to get divorce…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Vara Prasada Rao Tangrda

     Experience: 17 years

    View all >>