What is the procedure for filing divorce

Hi. My friend is getting divorced. She has been married for almost 18 months now, but living separately for the last 8 months. She wants to know the procedures and all. Is it necessary for her to notify her husband before she sends the divorce papers, or could she just simply send him the papers? should the divorce be mutual? Thanks.

Answers (2)

114 votes

I would like to give you a very general view on the procedure of divorce:
There are two ways of divorce- either we file a divorce case and then notices would be served upon the opposite party or it could be a divorce through mutual consent.
the time frame for the first way is very difficult to ascertain and so are expenses
the time frame is 6 months for the second way
but again without knowing the whole facts the best advice cannot be given

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

105 votes

She will need to file her divorce petition in the family court of that place through a lawyer. The petition will be prepared by the lawyer and filed in accordance with the proper procedure by the lawyer.

Yes, She can simply send the papers and start the divorce proceedings.

A mutual divorce is a better option as both the parties will be agreeable to the terms resulting in a smoother and faster case.


Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles