Want to file for divorce and get the dowry money back

If I file divorce case, can I also get my dowry back without filing any dowry case?

Answers (4)

135 votes

By filing of divorce case, you may not get your dowry article if the case is contested. However, if the case is settled on mutual consent, you may ask to return the articles given by your parents/relatives.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

113 votes

Yes you can. If the matter of divorce is already there in the court you ask court that your stridhan msut be returned to you as relief along with maintenance under Hindu Marriage Act. You may contact me further assistance.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
274 votes

Hello client hru.
I have read Ur issue /query in which u want to file a divorce case and want to get Ur allimony back from Ur husband as u have mentioned in Ur query but in this regards u have to file other cases as well for the recovery of Ur allimony of Ur marriage from Ur husband .

177 votes

No you cannot claim reliefs of return of Istridhan/dowry/articles of personal use in the divorce proceedings.

For recovering of Istridhan from your husband and in laws, you need to file a complaint with the Women Cell which will ultimately culminate into an FIR under Section 498A/406/34 of the Indian Penal Code,1860.

You can also file a complaint case under Section 12 of the the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act,2005 praying for various reliefs.

Furthermore, you can claim maintenance from your husband under Section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act,1955 during the pendency of the divorce proceedings and under Section 125 of the Code of Criminal Procedure,1973.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles