Validity of GPA post divorce.

I purchased a property in Delhi in the year of 2002 jointly along with my ex-husband. Subsequently we got divorced last year (in February 2011). As part of the divorce settlement my ex-husband transferred his 50% share in the property to my 19-year-old daughter (she stays with me) through a registered gift deed. The society subsequently transferred the share in my daughter's name in the share certificate. Now I want to sell this property and relocate to another city. At the time of purchase of this property an irrevocable GPA (General Power of Attorney) was issued through which I gave power of attorney to my ex-husband to execute all legal activities on behalf of me including sale of the property. My question is whether the general power of attorney (GPA) will still be considered as a valid one even after divorce and legal transfer of his share to the daughter? As I am the Principal can I revoke this GPA? Can I ignore the GPA and sell the property? What legal step do you advise to enable myself to sell this property without any hassle?

Answers (1)

470 votes
Power of attorney executed by you in favor of your husband would continue to be valid as far as your 50% share in property is concerned even after divorce. You can revoke the power of attorney given to your husband.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles