Regarding ill-treatment of an NRI with his wife

In pursuit for a suitable groom for me, I came across Mr. Nidhish Tiwari, who is currently practicing cardiology in New York.His parents approached my parents for marriage. His initial interaction with me indicted him to be an intelligent, calm minded and level head person. Since he came to India for a few days only, his parents wanted to hasten the process of getting to know each other and marriage too. So with an initial impression of a good person about him, I decided to tie a knot with him and we got married on 10th December 2017. Just after marriage his attitude towards me started to change. He went to the US in the same month after spending a few days with me after our marriage. He asked me to leave the job so I resigned and went to US on 16th February this year. Over there in US, the person I met was an even worse version of my husband Mr Nidhish Tiwari. Right from the day, he communicated with me sparingly.

Answers (2)

316 votes

Dear friend,
Introspect and see where you have gone wrong. If you feel you are right and then file divorce after a year and free yourself from bondage. If he wishes to continue marriage, you will come to know.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

325 votes

As you married in India and must be Hindu ceremonial marriage, it's best to proceed for any matrimonial disputes in Indian court rather in USA unless your husband agrees for suitable financial compensation/alimony for dissolution of marriage if you both agree for it with your mutual consent.
As far coming back to India and allowing him to give you divorce without Paying any alimony, that part you should not allow him. You must contest divorce filled by him in US court both on the ground of a Hindu Marriage that was solemnized in India and jurisdiction of Indian court for the matrimonial disputes and financial compensation in the form of alimony for yourself as well share in the community property with your husband.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles