Procedure to take divorce in state other then where they got married

Hi, me and my husband got married (some say its special marriage act, in my certificate, it is mentioned in seal as marriage registrar- indian christian marriages) in tamilnadu in 2004 and lived together till 2011 in tamilnadu. we have a daughter. Due to mental torture, i stopped living with him in 2011. He is in tamilnadu. I am planning to move to goa with my daughter and find a job or start a business, and not planning to come back to tamilnadu. This might be a far fetched question. but i need some advice. i am planning to continue staying in goa.I want to apply for divorce (i dont want alimony or maintainance, i take care of our daughter and i am fine with it) from goa and serve summons to him who is in tamilnadu. Will that be possible?. I read that case can be filed from wife's present residential place. I can prove my residence once i move there. can i apply for divorce in goa when husband in tamilnadu? Please explain possibilities of this case and expartee.

Answers (1)

It is possible to file a divorce in Goa, even though your marriage hasn't taken place in Goa. It would not be difficult to establish your residence in Goa, if you are actually moving in Goa. The notice of proceeding would be send to your husband at his Tamil Nadu address, if he doesn't wish to contest or doesn't appear after the court notice, the proceedings would be concluded in his absence.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My wife has filed for maintaince/alimony while she earns 27000 per month and I earn 45000 per month we have no kids...marriage is 2 years old. Can she…

Read More

My husband is presently residing in US, he has filed a divorce case in delhi. Earlier he was paying me monthly maintenance. Now suddenly he has stoppe…

Read More

This guy married me in Nov 2014 and ran off to US after month for his work. He never came back even after a year. Finally we caught him when he was he…

Read More

My wife and son harassing me for money. They are ill-treating me. Our divorce case is pending in court of law. They say I should pay their monthly mai…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue